<VV> Oil Pan Questions

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 23:37:08 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/23/2006 7:57:03 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca writes:

1) I’ve  been told you have to recalibrate the dipstick if you have one of
the  special (deep dish) aluminum pans from the Corvair vendors. Maybe it’s
late  and I’m tired but I don’t see why. Yes, the pan will require more oil
but  the “height” of oil in the engine will remain the same if you  calibrate
using the dipstick as it is and isn’t that what  matters?

It depends on:
1) Why you added the deeper pan
2) If you installed the deeper pick-up down at the bottom of the pan

If you installed the pan to keep the oil from flowing away from the pick-up
under hard cornering, (and climbing up into the heads) you can run the same
amount of oil as originally run. As long as you are using the deeper pick-up
and protecting the pick-up so oil will stay there. -Then you could re-mark  the
dip stick. I have run the Otto Pan, the baffle-spacer and the deep  pick-up -
No problems running a bit more oil, say, just below the stock  "full"
setting. - Seth