<VV> Stock Vs Mod

Mike Kost vairmike at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 24 11:28:44 EST 2006

I have struggled with this issue for nearly 25 years. I started
autocrossing in 1980 in the local SCCA and other club events. I was
running STOCK class with quite a bit of success. The only change from
"stock" was 60 series tires on the stock rims. I went to my first
convention at Syracuse 1982(?) and was disappointed to find that I would
be in "IMPROVED STOCK" class only because I had 60 series tires. I had
carried 4 extra tires while driving my car to the convention just so I
could run STOCK class. My normal street tires were 215-60/14 on 14x7
rims. These would have put me in the same class. I ended up in second
place to some guy named Seth in a borrowed car. I have since run in
STOCK class at 2 conventions (stealing tires off of my son's car to run)
with great success (2 first place trophies). I have mixed feelings about
STOCK class tires. Maybe a 70 series 14" tire of an appropriate diameter
could be specified as an alternate on a 14x5.5 rim.

Mike Kost