<VV> Re: 13" Tarz

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Mar 24 16:10:55 EST 2006

>The problem is that there is virtually nothing between the cheap, hard
>"economy tires and the full on "race" tires like the Hoosier (which would
>clearly be outside of the intent of any "stock" class). (I think SCCA
>should not allow R tires in their stock classes... kind of defeats the
>purpose and forces folks to invest a big chunk of change to be competitive
>in the cheapest class...)

The problem is that the rules (NECC) for stock class do not allow low
profile tires at all - "Any DOT tire with an aspect ratio of 70 and above,
with a wear rating of 180 and above, and with an unloaded diameter of at
least 23" may be used. Tires must fit inside the wheel well without
modification."

This limits the class to 185x80x13 and 185x70x13 since I could not find any
195 or 205x70x13s for street use. 175x70x13 would be too short. There does
seem to be a number of 185x70x13s with 23.2" diameter so that would seem to
be the tire of choice in stock class but "any tire" seems to come down
effectively to "one size fits all".

Padgett