<VV> Intermittent vacuum leak?

Mel Smith my65vair at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 25 17:21:25 EST 2006

My '65 140 with two carbs has been acting oddly lately. I drive it around
and at some stop lights the engine will bog down and not accelerate, while
at other stoplights it seems perfectly healthy. It seems like at random
intervals the engine will refuse to rev up and will kind of kick back when
you open the throttle. I have already rebuilt the carbs and have since
cleaned them out thouroughly. The theory presented to me has been that there
is a vacuum leak causing the hesitation, which would explain it since it
sometimes idles poorly, but how could the leak only randomly affect the
engine at odd times? It doesn't seem to be related to the temperature of the
engine. What are some sources that can act like this and what are other
problems could it be? I'm running plates to cover the secondary carb mounts
and there are seals on the throttle shafts.