<VV> Tear-down III (was Rebuild II)

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 25 19:35:18 EST 2006

It sorta sounds like heresy, but I'm in Deckrug's camp here -- "We told
you before...the debris is external..flushed out.....
the oil filter catches it, as well as the oil pickup screen...."

Now, I do admit, I may have missed a post, but a broken Vair valve cover
bolt is on the outside of the engine and has nothing to do with the
running part.

This is not an automatic transmission nor a formula one race motor --
those should be clean inside to start -- but an engine can and will be
'dirty' and still work just fine!  One of the reasons for a full flow
oil filter, and soft-faced babbit bearings. Those fancy ultra-sonic
cleanings of old used oil coolers, when installed on new engines
however, *is* money well spent, even if it seems a tad spendy, as the
cooler is after the filter (as I recall). Tiny fine powder like pieces
and flakes are to be expected though -- large pieces of grit and filings
are probably questionable.  You need to get some perspective -- change
the oil in your buddy's or wife's perfectly good running car and check
that with your magnet ...

What did you do? Forget to use the duct tape to seal off the top of the
head while you drilled?  and then used a blow gun to clean the hole? If
so, maybe you need to tear it down ...

Bill Strickland