<VV> Tired -- home tire changing

Paul Rollins s_debaker at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 26 01:30:53 EST 2006

At 08:08 PM 3/25/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:56:57 -0500
>From: Bill Elliott <corvair at fnader.com>
>Subject: Re: <VV> Tired
>To: Padgett <pp2 at 6007.us>
>Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>

>I have the same changer, but have not been as successful (most likely
>because I did not make the legs like you did).
>
>I bought it mainly because the local shop machines couldn't handle my
>10" Mini rims.
>
>I first drilled my concrete floor and inserted lag bolts to hold it
>down. These ripped up at first application of torque. So I drilled and
>used larger bolts. Same result.
>
>I had considered building some legs for it or bolting it to a 4x8 sheet
>of plywood ((to better bolt it down) or to pour a pad with the
>appropriate bolts poured in. But if you've had success with your 2x4
>legs, I'll just try that. Thanks for the suggestion!
>
>Bill Elliott
>

> > The latest caught my eye - a portable tire changer on sale for $34.99.
> > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542
> > Could not resist.
> >
> > When picked up the box seemed rather small and most of the reviews I
> > found showed it being used for motorcycle tires so was not sure.
> > Assembly showed it to be "compact" which goes along with the
> > portability but had no problem with a 15x8" wheel and removal of the
> > 215s from the 15x6 Buick wheels was even pretty easy - sprayed the rim
> > edge with vinyl protectorant (was at hand and is real slippery) was
> > not at all difficult to break the bead (one of the benefits of living
> > in central Florida) on both sides and remove the tire.
> >
> > Before starting I had made one addition - used three lengths of 2x4 to
> > make legs on the channels. This was actually the hardest part as the
> > U-channels were 1/2" narrower than the 2x4 so some creative sawing was
> > required.
> > http://padgett.ws/files/tirechanger.jpg
> >
> > The assembly is light and did want to turn when removing the tire but
> > by standing on the leg I was able to remove the tire without much
> > difficulty and the unit would be easy to take to an Autocross by just
> > removing the lag bolts (3/8x1.5")
> >
> > For $35 bucks it seems a deal compared to $10 for a station to change
> > a tire . Anyone else ever used one ?
> >
> > Padgett

If someone does a fair amount of tire changing, find a tire shop that is
replacing their old Coats 40-40A machines with the modern,"Euro" machines.
Most of them have changed or are changing. I bought one of these 40-40A's,
and have used it a lot. Worth every penny of $150 I paid for it. But, it
does take up some space.

Paul