<VV> Tear-down III (was Rebuild II)

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Sun Mar 26 01:37:17 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/25/2006 9:37:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

> Well, not to disagree with Matt, but if there is crud in the oil cooler,
> the
> filter will not catch it since in the flow order the filter precedes the
> cooler. From the cooler, the oil goes right to the engine bearings...Ugh!
>
> Regards,
> Bob Helt

*****************
BUT!!!   it only goes thru ONCE.......and the bearings have some
clearance.....anything smaller will flow thru....especially since he didn't say he Rotated
the engine continually during the 2 hours he was flowing oil...

Didn't anyone ever rebuild an engine in the 60's.......I've seen bearings
ruined.........insert another set and drive on!  Engines lasted!

I've repaired / assembled many engines in a nice clean garage.....but I've
also done complete teardowns / assemblies in sand storms.....

I've taken engines that have been "sanded".....intake and crankcase
filled!.......dismantle..clean out....reassemble with fresh rings.....sometimes
bearings.....and they lived for a long time...

I've also dismantled engines that seemed to run perfectly.....to do
performance mods......and been surprised at the conditions found!

"THESE"  engines, for the most part, were in sandbuggies....where full
throttle runs are the NORM....not occassional!

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug
http://members.aol.com/patiomatt    Corvair Info!