<VV> Timing

Chris C, Warwick RI ricorvair at cox.net
Tue Mar 28 12:50:19 EST 2006

I know this is a basic question, but I can not find my basics manual...damn
spring cleaning.

What effect does the timing have on performance.  Right now I am at 12 and
the car isn't quite right. 16-26 the acceleration lags.  Some speed demon
may rear end me because 0-15 is normal, but that brief range is slow.

I will try changing it and see what it does, but interested in the theory
behind it.

My car had snowman acceleration (sno balls) from a start, but would stay at
speed ok.  Real struggle getting it to go up a hill.

Started and once warmed up idled fine.  Its a 65 110/pg.

Cleaned fuel tank, replaced inline filter, and filter stones got a little
better.  Can old stones be cleaned out, or do I just toss them.  Cheap
corvair guy, hate throwing anything out.

Dwell was jumping around at idle.  Replaced condenser, cap, coil, points,
points plate.  Now it idles smooth, 0-15 fine, 16-25 it boggs a little, and
ok from 26-35 (the fastest I can legally go around town).

The old points plate seemed to get stuck 1/2 threw the movement (when removed).

Dwell is now a constant 32, dips a little at acceleration.  Idles about 650
in gear, smooth.  A little concerned the replacement condenser was 1/8 inch
longer than the one I took out.  If I use a mityvac to move the vac
advance, it moves fairly evenly, but does stops before it reaches the high
side.

The timing i