<VV> engine removal (how high?)

Jim McLott Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV
Wed Mar 29 08:39:51 EST 2006

 I have 4 floor jacks that extend to 21".  Will that be high enough?  I guess the bottom line question is what is the suggested body height from the ground to safely allow for an engine removal?

Thanks in advance!

Art in Missouri
'66 sport sedan
'66 coupe

Art,

Christine is currently on jackstands with the engine out, so I went down to the garage to measure.  In front, the distance from floor to the saddle of the jackstand is 12.5 inches; in back the distance is 17.75.  The jackstands are just fore and aft of the rear and front wheelwells and  the pinchweld under the car is resting in the saddle.  After removing the crankcase vent tube and the brace supporting the air cleaner, there was enough room to roll the engine out the back.

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible she-devil
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and Group Red

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/mclott.htm