<VV> Disc Brakes

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 08:41:20 EST 2006

>Anybody check out scarebird's website?    Lots of stuff
there.    They market  brackets and mount hardware that allows you to
adapt disks to a Vair without having to swap out the spindles.
http://scarebird.com/6928.html
tony..<

I put some Scarebird brackets on the '65 Corvair front end in my friend's
streetrod. Scarebird had a first run of brackets that mounted the calipers
too high. The upper caliper mounting bolts would hit the upper A-frame in a
turn. We called Scarebird and he made new brackets which mount the calipers
a little lower. The corrected brackets have the upper caliper bolt at the
same height as the large hole in the spindle. To mount the brackets you need
longer grade eight bolts for the steering arms. You can either cut down the
stock large upper bolt or get a large grade eight bolt and make a bushing to
locate the bolt correctly in the bracket and spindle. There are no mods
needed on the spindle. The hub must have its outer diameter turned down to
fit the 4wd S-10 rotor. We couldn't find an auto parts store willing to turn
it down on their brake lathe to we ended up having it done in a regular
machine shop. We replaced the wheel mounting studs with 68-82 Corvette studs
(longer) but I don't think it was actually necessary with steel wheels. The
entire job was pretty easy.
                       Ed