Fwd: <VV> Corvair Anti Corrosion/Canadian Cars too

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Mar 29 10:10:33 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/29/2006 9:12:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dkeillor at tconcepts.com writes:

> galvanized sheet metal

All of my LM's had a heavy zinc coating on the rocker panels--'65's, '66's,
'68's that I assumed came from a galvanizing process because it was thicker
than a spray on coating.  And my recollection from the period when they were new
was that ALL GM cars of the period with the "flush and dry" rocker "system"
like our Corvairs had galvanized rockers.

In reference to the Canadian Corvair bodies and rust prevention I know that
during the '60's GM sprayed a wax coating on all their cars that were shipped
overseas to US military buyers (not the crated knockdowns that were assembled
overseas for sale to foreign nationals) to protect the new cars from premature
surface rust until they were delivered.  One of my '68 Monzas benefitted from
this protection during very salty winters in Europe and then back here in the
U.S.  Maybe the Canadian bodies that were shipped north had the same or a
similar coating.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier