<VV> '64 flywheel, clutch kit in '63 Monza Spyder

Bill Meglen tirediron at charter.net
Thu Mar 30 00:51:07 EST 2006

Split the bellhousing/transaxle on my 1963 Monza Spyder to discover
shards of the facing (all of it) on the clutch disk throughout the
housing. Received a new Dale recessed flywheel, disc, and pressure
plate, replaced the pilot bushing. no evidence of fluids in bell
housing. The steel split ring in the differential snout was absent, but
the seal was intact.  Expect the missing split ring retainer
over-night. The shaft appears straight but presume the split ring
served a purpose so will not reassemble without it.

My "books" suggest that upgrade to the 64 or later recessed
flywheel/clutch is desirable, but am confused by seemingly conflicting
opinions as to whether it is necessary to replace or modify the ball
stud for the clutch fork to accomodate the later flywheel/clutch
combination. The vendor suggests that "you can get by with" the 63 ball
stud...I don't sense great confidence in this opinion?  Seeking advise?

Bill