<VV> Corvair Anti Corrosion

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Mar 30 17:21:24 EST 2006

At 07:35 hours 03/29/2006, mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:
> >--------------------
>Well, if GM didn't do it, who did cause I didn't. Everyone, including gurus,
>can be wrong. Maybe there was a galvanizing fairy running around the Fisher
>plant :^)...
>
>Ned
>BTW that is not a flame of Kirby, maybe the so called Guru though...
> >--------------------
>
>I thought you weren't supposed to weld galvanized metal.  Doesn't it
>produce toxic fumes er something?

YES.

For sake of mention:   Welding galvanized steel produces toxic
fumes.    Don't do it unless you have the right ventilation and you
remain upwind and even then I'd be careful.   Do NOT do it indoors in
any event.

>If that's the case how did GM weld galvanized pieces in?

Spot welding.   And they had ventilation.

>I had heard somewhere that the factory replacement panels for the LM
>windshield lower frame were galvanized.
>Of course that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee.

I've seen several and they were all just stamped steel with black
surfacer/sealer on them.   No galvanizing.

tony..