<VV> DON'T WELD GALVI---unrelated to Corvair saftey

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 12:06:22 EST 2006

YES< ABSOLUTELY<  DO NOT WELD GALVI because it emits poisonous gas.  In a closed area it can kill you.
  Now, to satisfy those who are going to spin this thread off in 60 directions by picking at every one of the six words I wrote above,  don't believe me, ask a PROFESSIONAL welder.
  For someone who wants to get past the assumption that GM used GALVANIZED panels, I suggest those who want to pursue it do the research.  I don't care enough about it to do it myself, but I'll bet you will find GM used some other coating or electroplate process OTHER THAN GALVANIZING that doesn't have the hazard.
  Now, if GM DID find a way to weld in galvi, they found a way to make sound welds in a setting that kept their workers safe. There's no percentage in killing off good welders.
  Kinda like the joke about the hero pig with three legs: you don't eat a good pig like that all at one time.
  This is like anything else, if you aren't sure of what it is, don't dick with it.

  Chuck Kubin

  mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:
Well, if GM didn't do it, who did cause I didn't. Everyone, including gurus,
can be wrong. Maybe there was a galvanizing fairy running around the Fisher
plant :^)...

Ned
BTW that is not a flame of Kirby, maybe the so called Guru though...

I thought you weren't supposed to weld galvanized metal. Doesn't it produce toxic fumes er something? If that's the case how did GM weld galvanized pieces in?

I had heard somewhere that the factory replacement panels for the LM windshield lower frame were galvanized. Of course that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee.

mike