<VV> Re:Front Tars

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Mar 30 23:29:45 EST 2006

>Interesting!   Usually the Drivers side hits up top!   Pass. side at lower
>rear when backing / turning..was the car wrecked?

There is no indication of it though looks like all the renewable pieces in
the suspension have been replaced (about six inches of clearence between
tire and top of fender well.

Wheels (late '70s Pontiac) seem to have about 3/8" less backspacing than
stock Corvair and are 1/2" wider so track has probably increased
accentuating the problem. Does not seem to be any clearance issues at top
or back, just front lower lip when steering wheel is turned one turn from
centered as the edge of the tread passes the screw holding the stainless
trim on. Is about the same on both sides. Is the front crossmember movable
fore-aft ?

Looking in "The Classic Corvair" it sounds like the 195x70x14s at 24.8"
diameter are slightly shorter than the stock 7.00x13 (25.3")  so we are
back to the backspacing causing the problem. Guess I'll just have to drive
and find out.

Combination of 195x70 on 14x6s on front and 215x65 on 15x7s on back does
look good and really changes the character of the car.

Padgett

Padgett