<VV> Front Tars (Tires)

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Mar 31 18:32:09 EST 2006

>> These fit but at 1  turn from lock they come within 1/4" of the screw
>> holding the  stainless wheel trim at the front-bottom. Is this normal and
>>  is
>> this enough ? Driver's side is slightly closer than passenger.  Seems like
>> lot of room behind the tire, is only close  at front and that particular
>> steering angle.
>>
>>  Padgett

Interesting...On my 67 coupe, I just changed from 205/7014 BF Goodrich
Radial TAs to the same size, but in a _Bridgestone Turanza LS-T_
(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+LS-T&partnum=07TR
4TLS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=4)  . For years, had no
interference with the TAs, but immediately the Bridgestones rubbed on the front
edge of the lower driver's side front opening (in the general vicinity of  the
opening trim)...but ONLY when backing and turning the wheel slightly to  the
right. New tire is, apparently, carrying a bit more rubber at the  edges.  The
fix: relieved the lower front edge of the wheel well  opening (i.e., with a
grinder). Opened up to allow about 3/8" clearance...works  well there. And yes,
the clearance issue was only on the driver's side; the  passenger's side has
more inherent clearance; I suspect this has to do with the  alignment
characteristics.  OBTW: the wheels are late 60s Camaro Rally  Wheels.

Mike Mauro
67 Factory Air, 110, PG Coupe (and other assorted  Vairs)