<VV> Total seal rings or moly?

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Mar 31 18:46:21 EST 2006

"....Looking at getting new piston rings in one of the vendors catalogs.  They
list the Moly rings, they also list the Total Seal ring set. Is the  total
seal set worth the extra money? Would there be more cylinder wear due  to no
oil getting to the top ring?  Advantages/dissadvantages??..."

I've used Total Seal rings...they are great when they work, but can  be a
pain because they are a b_ _ _ _ h to seat.  Be sure  everything is
perfect...i.e., bore is precisely round, piston lands are true,  and the cylinder finish is
cross hatched as the ring supplier specifies; follow  break in procedures to
the "T" (all just like for any rings, but even  more important for Total
Seal). Turbos are particularly hard on Total Seal  rings...use there with caution.

Tell ya the truth, I've used moly rings for the past three engines...lots
less hassle.  Just my (sometime) humble opinion....like other things,  almost
everyone has one.

Cheers,
Mike Mauro
64 Spyder (and other assorted Vairs)