<VV>Rubbin tars

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Mar 31 20:53:42 EST 2006

>immediately the Bridgestones rubbed on the front
>edge of the lower driver's side front opening (in the general vicinity
>of  the
>opening trim)...but ONLY when backing and turning the wheel slightly to  the
>right.

Persuaded the front lip a bit (If grind there will be nothing to screw the
wheel molding trim into (is this molding on all Corvairs or only a few ?)
and when through some gymnastics today - drove about 20 miles, encountered
some speed bumps, performed some turning and backing with wheel one turn in
either direction from straight ahead (minimum clearance point) - no sign of
contact but is awfully close with 195x70x14, no way I could mount 205x70x14s.

Any idea what the backspacing is on the Camaro wheels.? Know you cannot
really measure but using a ruler and a piece of 1x2 (outside of rim bead
flange to hub ) I get the 14x6 has close to 1/2" less backspacing than the
stock 13x5.5 . This means that the swing radius of the wheel/tire is
further out than stock  and coupled with the wider tread would explain why
it comes close in a turn.

Think most people advise 4.5" of backspace and with that you would have
more clearance. However I had the snowflakes so zero cost which is
appropriate for a driver.

Padgett

Padgett