<VV> LM carbs

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 09:21:32 EDT 2006

--- NicolCS at aol.com wrote:
> But who says the smog carburetor is "too lean"???
I think
> both of these notions are nothing more than
> folklore.
 Craig N.

 I said that! I will admit it's not based on
documented numbers, but on anecdotal evidence gained
through experience.
 My classic case was a rebuilt '68 95 hp that ran hot.
Carbs were nice and clean, jetted correctly (50's, I
think), A.I.R. gear removed, electic fuel pump, body
to engine seal intact, etc... It ran hot, would vapor
lock, ping, etc - a real dog. I finally swapped out
the carbs and the thing came alive. Ask Bill Elliott
about the piece of rubber I laid on the lot with big
14" rear tires and a rebuilt 3.55 Posi, running that
little 95 (I was 19!). Through other similar
experiences I have developed a disdain for the smog
carbs. Other experienced wrenchers have shared similar
thoughts. If we're all missing something, please
enlighten.

 Mike
 YS-117