<VV> LM carbs

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue May 2 09:49:42 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/2/2006 6:46:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, NicolCS writes:
It's hard to argue with actual experience but...

One thing you might have missed is that in '68, GM recalibrated the venturi
cluster and jumped the main jet to 52.  If you had 50s in a '68-9 carb / 68-9
cluster, it would be way too lean.

I'm not really buying the "smog carbs are lean" thing.  The whole point of
the carb was improved mixture accuracy.  The elimination of the PV might have
limited maximum output but PV carbs are actually "leaner" in the midrange than
smog carbs (unverified but believed true). Where the PV carbs swing the mix
from "economy" to "power".  Smog carbs are more "centered" to reduce HC (rich)
and NOx (lean).

Just my 2 cents worth,
Craig

<snip> My classic case was a rebuilt '68 95 hp that ran hot.
Carbs were nice and clean, jetted correctly (50's, I
think), A.I.R. gear removed, electic fuel pump, body
to engine seal intact, etc... It ran hot, would vapor
lock, ping, etc - a real dog. I finally swapped out
the carbs and the thing came alive <snip>