<VV> Dimmer connector

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue May 2 14:26:18 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/1/2006 7:16:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, pp2 at 6007.us
writes:

I  suspect that many are in this condition particularly if sometimes hitting
the dimmer switch produces off or flicker. May also explain some of the
people who complain about dim headlamps.

Reminds me of the time many years ago when I bought  the 180 Corsa.  The car
was located at the NJ shore and I picked it up late  in the day as dusk was
approaching.  I stopped for gas and found to my  surprise that when I turned on
the headlights and pressed the dimmer switch to  drop down from the high
beams, I lost ALL headlights, both low and high  beam.  So the trip home was
complicated by the desire to drive fast enough  so I could get home before it became
REALLY dark and I was stopped by a state  trooper for "insufficient
illumination".  This was coupled with the fear of  driving too fast and getting stopped
for "excessive speed".  If I did get  stopped, the police officer might then
discover that the license plates on the  car were registered to a 1966 YELLOW
Corvair instead of a 1965 BLACK Corvair  that the plates were installed on at
that moment.  (Hey, it was as close as  I could get!)
    Subsequent testing revealed that the dimmer switch  was faulty so it was
replaced with a new one.  While the old  one might have been made to work with
sufficient application of an  electronic cleaner spray, it didn't seem to be
worth the risk of another "lights  out" experience.
    Frank "likes to see what's ahead"  Burkhard