<VV> Re: LM carbs

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Tue May 2 21:47:26 EDT 2006

I've been through this exact scenario with my van.  It took me a year or so
to figure out why the off-idle behavior of the engine was weak and
unpredictable.

It turned out that I had a '65 carb on one side, and a '66-67 non-smog carb
on the other.  This oddball has the lump where the idle bleed screw would
be installed, but the hole is undrilled in the casting.  The idle
transition circuits are different between these.  The newer model
transition circuit cuts out sooner.  I suspect that it goes with a venturi
cluster with a smaller bypass orifice to move the cut-in point of the main
system down in the operating range of the engine.

The van ran OK with this arrangement, but it was difficult to feather the
clutch in for soft starts with a step function in power output off idle.

As for smog carbs running leaner, there's an idle air bleed adjustment on
all true smog carbs.  you can adjust them to be as lean or rich before main
jet cut-in as you like.  From the factory, theyr'e adjusted to run lean
because that was what CARB and EPA wanted.  It is useful to remember that
the brass screw inside the air horn is an air bleed, not a fuel adjustment,
so out is a leaner mixture.