<VV> LM carbs

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed May 3 14:33:40 EDT 2006

At 10:10 hours 05/02/2006, Mike Stillwell wrote:

>  Craig,
>  They could have been 52's. I maintain a policy of not
>disturbing jets, as they often break upon attempted
>removal. What you are saying though, does make good
>sense and invites some experimentation. I was not
>aware of the change in the cluster. Unfortunately I
>got rid of all of my A.I.R. carbs long ago. I'm sure
>tony u. has a some he can lend out.

I have a few bowls in the parts box, with stuck VAB screws...

The last remaining roadworthy pair are on the blue '69 Monza 140, and
they still work OK (VAB screws bottomed out).   They actually *do*
work pretty well, although I still find myself having to touch up the
mixture screws more often than I'd think necessary.    If either of
them misbehaves in any serious fashion I'll likely swap the pair out
and be done with them, use non-VAB carbs in their place.

Another pair are on a '68 Monza coupe in storage around back behind
the barn, has a hole in the #3 piston (likely from running too lean
and pinging/eroding the piston?) which has been off the roads for
several years.   It needs a jug/piston and the removal of the smog
gear *and* those carbs, or go through the carbs and tweak 'em a
bit.    I ought to do something about that red '68
Monza...  110/4-sp, black interior which needs work, paint pretty
sorry too, could be made into a decent car with some cosmetics and
mechanical work.    Maybe after some other projects are done...   I
continue to remain vigilant in my keeping an eye out for '65-'67
carbs, can never have enough.   I talked claypool out of all he'd let
me have, so I'm looking elsewhere...

Some people don't seem too fond of the '67 carbs.   The ones on the
blue coupe work very nicely, seldom ever have to touch anything on
them; they just work.   Not bad mileage out of them either, and the
car is perky for a 95hp.   I went through them once, years ago when
the car first came to live here, all they needed was a gum cleanout
from sitting, not had them apart since.

I *really* need to break down and go through all my old carbs stashed
in boxes here and there etc and ID them and fix them or part them.

tony..