<VV> Self pity and whining

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Thu May 4 08:18:16 EDT 2006

Tony, I keep thinking vapor lock is a possibility.  The temp gauge on the
dash shows that this motor seems to run a bit hot--maybe 425ish once its
warmed up.  This morning I shot some starter fluid in the air cleaner,
cranked it and it fired up no problem.  I'm not sure about gas formulation
being the problem, since it was doing the same thing last fall, though I
suppose that they may have changed over, as late as I was driving the car.
I suspected a contaminated fuel tank, but it only happens when the car has
fully warmed up and then been parked for a short period of time.  When it
finally starts, it starts like it never had a problem.  If it was a
contamination problem, I don't think the timing would be so predictable.

Oh, and I should describe the symptoms when it dies.  Usually, it will start
ok, run for a short distance, and then just kind of sputter and die.
Pumping or flooring the accelerator has no effect.  This makes me think that
I am able to burn the fuel in the carb bowl and when that's gone it just
starves.  Once this happens it will give a sputter or two, but that's it.

But if it is vapor lock, what can I do to avoid this, short of getting an
electric fuel pump somewhere forward of the engine compartment?  It's not a
tolerable condition.

Norm