<VV> Vapour Lock?

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Thu May 4 17:17:21 EDT 2006

Don't know if this has been mentioned as I'm still reading posts on this
thread, but the gas cap is a prime suspect- the vent in the cap can plug and
create a vacuum in the tank that makes the car quit after a few minutes of
running more or less just fine. Try loosening the cap or exchange it with
one from another car as a test. Often people paint over the cap or mud
daubers/dust gets in and restricts the vent.

More than once I have bought Corvairs with a rag (used to 'replace' a lost
cap by the owner) trapped in the filler neck that did pretty much the same
thing on the trip home, they swell when they're wet with gas or water and
can plug the neck very effectively.

Vapour lock is very uncommon with Corvairs in my experience, Corvairs are
not very prone to it generally, theres no heat in the engine compartment to
speak of compared to a water pumper.

Brent Covey
Vancouver BC