<VV> Vapor lock/fuel return line?

Bob Gilbert traceya at montrose.net
Fri May 5 19:35:02 EDT 2006

Howdy Folks,
My FC vapor locked while idling in a snow storm years ago. Took about a
half hour. Put snow on the casting where the oil goes to the oil filter,
cranked a while, and off I went. The oil filter side of the fuel pump
gets hot enough to burn your fingers if you idle for long. The other
side just gets a little hot.  When driving there is enough air flow
around the fuel pump to keep it cool enough, let it idle for a while or
stop for 10 minutes or so on a hot day and your out of luck. Before I
put an electric fuel pump on with the proper safety features I left a
couple of paper towels on the depression in the generator casting
between the oil lines to the oil filter and every time it was hot
outside I would squirt the paper towels down with water and leave the
access door open. Worked for years.

The other Bob Gilbert