<VV> Vapor lock/fuel return line?

corvairs lonwall at corvairunderground.com
Fri May 5 20:34:20 EDT 2006

No Ron, the problem is quite common. The car won't start - it must be a
fuel problem. If it's a fuel problem it must the pump or vapor lock.
Proof is that after 1/2 hour of dumping ice water on everything the
vehicle will start and run. Problem is, during that half an hour a lot
of other things can happen. Rust clogging the incoming gas screen will
fall away. Poor connecting hoses on the incoming line may seal back up.
A loose fitting on the incoming line may, for no other reason than time,
seal back up. - that's if the problem really IS lack of fuel.

But let me throw another one - A guy comes to me and says he has carb
problems. A beautiful 1961. He says when the car is cold it always
starts fine. Once warmed up, if it's shut down, it won't start. Had been
towed home several times. Car has just been driven to my shop. He gets
in and attempts to start it and, sure enough,  it won't fire. But I
notice he gives it some gas when he tries to start.

I get in and conspicoulsly keep both my feet out of the passenger
compartment and turn the key. About 10 seconds of cranking and car fires
up fine. The guy is amazed. I tell him he's flooding his engine by
giving it gas when its warmed up. Odd reaction - He gets angry with me.

"I'm NOT flooding my engine". Its a fuel pump problem or vapor lock. I
get in start the engine in 2 seconds (or less) by giving it no gas.
Again and again. He gets in PUMPS the gas pedal (probably out of habit)
- car won't start. This goes on for half an hour. He seems personally
offended that I have told him he is flooding his car. Finally he accepts
that there are some Corvairs out there that, once warmed up, cannot
tolerate any gas being applied at startup or they flood.

I can't tell any particular individual whether he has vapor lock or not
- not without the car present when it's misbehaving. But I am more than
certain that the VAST majority of "vapor lock" problems are something
else.  To those who have told me, well Lon you just don't understand up
there in "cool" Oregon. That's not true. It get's in the 90's here and
sometimes over 100. Besides I have driven my Corvairs down to CA many
times when it's been 110+ in the summer (Central Valley, Mojave, Palm
Springs etc) and I have NEVER experienced vapor lock with mechanical
fuel pumps.

Lon

PS - Bob Gilbert's a good guy so I'm not giving him any grief.