<VV> Vapor lock/Ice up (my first post)

Darren Agazio DAgazio at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 21:27:15 EDT 2006

I've been reading all this VL talk and now it's my
turn to add to the dribble:

One time in 1993,  I was driving my VW Bug at -20F
(don't ask how I got it started, I don't remember). It
was running fine until 20 minutes later when I got on
the expressway and the engine stalled out. After I
waited a short time, I managed to start it again. I
was able to complete the short drive to work from
there. When I told my co-worker of this, he knew all
about the problem.

On the VW, the fuel line goes through the dog house.
All that fresh cold air is blowing on the fuel line
and at highway speeds any moisture in suspended the
fuel collects at that point and is frozen solid. When
the fan is at slower speeds or stopped (after stall)
the heat from the motor melts the water and allows it
to flow. After that, I added gasline anti-freeze every
fill-up.

My co-worker had many years of VW experrience; he
bought one new in 1970 and it traveled with him from
the US to Germany two times in the military. He still
had the car in 2000 (the last time I saw him).

Now I'm into Corvairs - that is, now that I'm all
grown up and moved out of the rust belt. I hope to not
have a vapor lock issue here in 'Bama.

Darren
Huntsville, AL (previously MI)
67 Monza (parts car that I hope to drive one day)