<VV> corvair sighting for sale

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sat May 6 00:50:52 EDT 2006

Hey Garland,
Try to find a copy of Bob Helt's "Corvair Basics" for
a really complete list of what to loook for.  If not,
this should get you started.
Is the rubber on the gas and brake pedals worn
through, or just worn a little?  If a lot, I'm betting
it is 143k, not 43k. Regularly driven so the car
remains intact, or is the battery old and no longer
able to take a charge?  Sitting for the past two-three
years, so the old gas is now varnish and the fuel
system needs to be rebuilt?  Same for the
brakes--regularly driven or has the long-sitting brake
fluid absorbed water and now the system needs to be
rebuilt? Does it start really easily and run well?
Before you even put it in gear, do the
hard-harder-hardest brake test.  Do you have to pump
the brakes up?  Jamb the brakes hard, and harder yet,
then pump them if you have to and try to put your foot
in the trunk. If a brake line blows now, you've just
saved your life without leaving the driveway.
Is the interior intact, or are the dashpad, arm rests
and seats hard and cracking?  Are the tires dry rotted
and cracking? Even if it was garaged, are the
floorboards rusted?  Put a small magnet on the usual
rust spots--corners of the windshield, doglegs, fender
and door bottoms.  Magnets don't stick to rust or
bondo. Ask about repairs, even minor ones,  and look
at the repaired areas for stuff that is obviously
badly done.
I looked at a "rare and valuable" '65 Monza driven by,
no shit, a little old lady.  She curled every corner
and roll pan by driving over cubs and curb bumpers and
the sun wrecked the interior.  Then I checked the oil.
When she told me the neighbor down the street was
charging her to regularly change the oil for her, I
offered to go down there and get her money back.  The
car had 31,000 on the clock and the oil was so old
there were fossils floating in it.
Your best bet is bring an experienced Corvair guy to
look at it.  If not, have a different mechanic ask a
Corvair guy what to look for and have him check it
out. Third best bet is have any mechanic you trust
look at it.  He doesn't have to know a zebra from a
horse to tell you about most mechanical problems.
Also consider why you want the car.  You'll dump a
load of cash in a resto in direct negative proportion
to the condition of the car, and since you'll repace
stuff on a resto you're not driving daily, you'd
better off starting with a really good car.
If the car is THAT good, it might be worth $5K but I
doubt it.  Remember, if it is original it is 41 years
old.  It can go a long time or it can break tomorrow.
I'd pay that for a '65 (the most common model made) in
very good repair with a really nice body, but not
somehting that will need  a lot of work soon.  But
that's me. If 10 guys who have bought several Corvairs
tell you to pay it, listen to them.
If you do spot problems, point them out to the seller
to get the price down. Remember, if he didn't fix it,
you have to.  I'll let the other guys render an
opinion on what you should pay.  If you shoot straight
with the buyer and offer a fair price, he'll either be
reasonable or not. If he isn't, wish him good luck and
walk away.

Chuck Kubin