<VV> FW: Vapor Lock and the Plan for World Domination

norman.witte at comcast.net norman.witte at comcast.net
Sat May 6 08:25:25 EDT 2006

Tried to send this last night but I've been having trouble with my email, too.  I need to move back into a cave.

So, I did my venting, I got lots of answers and I thought it would be only polite to report back a little of what I've learned.

First, on the red Corsa 140 with the need for a new flywheel and the persistent carb issue, I need to call Ken Hand and make an appointment.  I'm fed up with dealing with it and, sorry, but sometimes money is the answer.  It's a hobby, not a death struggle.

With regard to "vapor lock" on the blue turbo convertible, it's a possibility. Factors include the freshly rebuilt motor that will run hotter than normal until broken in, the proximity of my fuel lines to the upper shrouds, and new gas formulations.  Steps I can take to remedy this problem, if that's what I am experiencing, include bending the fuel lines away from the shroud to provide more clearance, idling the motor for a bit before shut down in hot conditions, checking my shrouds to make sure that they are properly sealed, checking my thermostat doors to make sure they're opening properly, and possibly adding an electric fuel pump.  For whatever reason, I am going to reject the electric fuel pumnp option.

Having considered everyone's comments I think there is some possibility that I am experiencing vapor lock.  The heat component of my problem seems to be the part that makes the vapor lock answer most appealing to me.  I don't see how having a fuel line return helps unless you have an electric fuel pump because if I have vapor lock problems, they are originating when the motor is shut down.

That being said, there's a real possibility that this is not a vapor lock issue.  I have had the problem on some pretty mild days, so that makes vapor lock less likely.  There are a few other components that may be responding to heat soaking that are suspects in my book.  The first is my new fuel pump; the second is my new coil and the third is my new Pertronix.

Another suspect that was identified was the fuel tank.  I am not so suspicious of the tank because of the consistent timing of the problem, which seems more related to running the car, getting it warm, shutting it down and then restarting it.  However, if the fuel tank is ditry it can't be a good thing, and this car sat for quite awhile.  An interesting thought I just had regarding crap in the tank:  could return fuel stir up garbage in the tank?  I have to think that sloshing from driving would have much more effect, but who knows?  Huh.

So, here is my plan for getting the blue Corsa cured and reliable:

1.  Give the fuel lines more clearance.
2.  Check shrould seals, damper doors.
3.  Replace fuel pump.  I like to have a spare in my tool box, anyway.  This one can be the spare.
4.  Clean and/or replace fuel tank.  Seems like this will be a pain, but it probably is a good idea regardless.  While I am at it, I will blow out the fuel lines again.
5.  If after all this, I still have the problem, install points and see if that's the problem.
6.  If it's still not gone, install a new coil.

So that's the plan.  Bring on the parts!

Thanks to all who helped out with advice and encouragement.  Now I am going to go home and, no I am not going to work on the car. There's been entirely too much work today already.  The buck stops here.

You guys rock.

Norm Witte

www.wittelaw.com/personal