<VV> Re: Time to Replace pump

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat May 6 18:08:40 EDT 2006

Brass to brass is usually soft enough to deform and seal without any
additional help. The steel nipple on the fuel pump may need some help,
but the soft material it screws into may also deform to seal, as you
have proven in actual use!

Teflon tape must be used carefully, especially the leaving the first
thread bare, same as any pipe dope, or pieces will find their way down
stream. It can also lubricate the fitting and allow female tapered
threads to tighten easily enough to split when wrenched with strong hands.

Flare fitting should never need any additional sealing material. If they
do, something is cracked, broken or worn out. So this nipple and the oil
pressure switch are about the only places on a Corvair one could use
pipe sealant. But it is not required.

And no, I do not wear a belt with suspenders, just plumb that way.

Frank DuVal