<VV> Engine removal without disassembly

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun May 7 23:14:31 EDT 2006

It can be done. Lots of wood blocks and keep your mind on saftey when
jacking. I made many wooden jack blocks by (adjust for common metric
lumber sizes) using scraps of wood. 2"x 6" set vertically like floor
joists with 1" or 2" x whatever as the horizontal base and top. Say
about a half a meter square top. Like building a floor joist assembly
with subfloor on top and ceiling below. Use three or four "joists" per
block. These work muck better on asphalt driveways (and dirt and gravel
for those so inclined) than jack stands with sharp legs.

Using a series of these you can get the car up in the air enough to
clear the turbo when removing the engine. I have done it with my Spyder
several times.

The other tricky part is building something to remove the engine. I hear
good things about the ATV lifts available now. I used a long reach floor
jack and a wooden platform with wheels (looks like what we here call a
moving dolly). Just roll the jack under the dolly and jack dolly up
against drivetrain at a good balance point. Finish removing bolts and
lower jack.  Look out for all those thing you forgot to disconect!

Remember saftey anytime the car is off the ground.

We lost a 17 year old high school senior last week when his car fell on
him at home.

No "cinder" blocks. CMU's in current lingo. They disintergrate at bad times.

Frank DuVal