<VV>Cheap Gaz - no Corvair

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 21:07:16 EDT 2006

I can beat that.  I bought a '75 VW Scirocco with 20,000 miles on it somewhere around 1976.  Car had original tires (I assume, they were not new).  When I finally traded the car, it still had the same tires, 120,000 miles on the clock, and just passed Virginia safety inspection!  Guys at work said it was because I usually only kept 2 on the ground at a time.  If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would call myself a liar!

  Ken Campbell wrote:

  <<So, if a guy could find some skinny hard rubber, and promise not to
play
road racing games at low speed, betcha you could pick up 2 to 6 miles
per
gallon on the big slab ...   can you still buy the old '60s type
Michelin X,
you know the ones with the little funny slits for tread?  dang i loved
those
tires ... or maybe those days ...  I put 40K  VeryHard Miles on a set
with
my '66 140 rig, and they were only half worn out when I traded ( STUPID
STUPID MOVE ) the vair off .>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on