Gas Mileage - was<VV> RE: Running on regular

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue May 9 14:58:52 EDT 2006

V V ers,
    Let's get back to basics.  In my area, Premium  fuel (93-94 RON) costs
only 20 cents more than Regular gas (87 RON).  If  regular is $ 3 a galon that
means premium is $ 3.20 an increase of only SEVEN  percent!  As soon as you
start retarding the ignition timing you  will LOSE at least that much in miles
per gallon as well as in  performance!!!!  Is it really worth it???
    There are a number of ways to increase mileage to  help offset the rising
price of gasoline.  The most obvious is to drop  highway speed down to the
speed limit.  It takes a lot more energy to push  the car at 75mph compared to
60 mph due to the BIG increase in wind  resistance.  The other ways of saving
gas are more subtle.  Minimize  use of the brakes.  Every time you brake, you
are throwing away gas money  by converting the momentum energy of the car into
waste heat. The guy who gets  100,000 miles on a set of brakes is getting good
gas mileage.
    The way to minimize braking is by "anitcipatory  driving" as the Prez of
our local club puts it.  Plan ahead so that by the  time you reach that red
light it has turned green.  So many times I am  in the slow lane of the highway
driving at the speed limit and drivers are  PASSING ME in the exit lane where
they will soon jam on their brakes for a red  light or a stop sign.  As part
of this, allow a large distance between  you and the car in front of you.
That way, when he suddenly  jams on his brakes to make a turn or to change lanes
or because his kid  bounced something off his head, you can simply take your
foot off the gas  instead of jamming on your brakes.
    Try leaving for work 10 minutes EARLY instead  of 10 minutes LATE.
Taking the time pressure off can do a lot to  increase gas mileage.
    And on Corvairs, make sure that the vacuum advance  is working correctly
on your distributor.  When I converted from pressure  retard to vacuum advance
on my 180, my mileage increased 22% on the same drive  back and forth to work
every day.  Plus the car was much more responsive in  part throttle driving
in traffic.
    Frank "the frugal" Burkhard

In a message dated 5/7/2006 5:17:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,