<VV> Old Flame Speed

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed May 10 10:16:46 EDT 2006

>Octane, in common laymans terms has always been, "resistance to self ignition
>under pressure / heat"
>
>Once ignited...the fuel's characteristics and chamber design determine how
>fast it propagates.

Completely true but when I learned about gasoline fuels,  one of the
"fuel's characteristics" was that the higher the octane, the slower the
burn rate and was a byproduct of "resistance to self ignition"). Has this
changed ? Otherwise why would we advance the timing for hi octane and
retard it for low ?

Probably few remember now but back in the early '70s, cars that did not
stop running when the key was turned off were common. One trick that
sometimes worked was to put in gear (add load) and floor it (cooling shot
from the accelerator pump). Sometimes it didn't. Often a cloud of really
eye burning smoke emitted when it did stop. Embarrassing for new Cadillac
owners.

GM's answer back then was a solenoid to hold the throttle open to the idle
point when the key was on and would shut the throttle all the way when
turned off. That worked until fuel injection became common and turning the
key off also stopped the injectors. Once had a Fiero that would have a ded
battery if it sat for several days (usually at the airport parking garage).
Turned out a PO had hotwired the electronic ignition so it was always on
and what stopped the engine was the injectors.