<VV> threw a belt- what now?

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 11 12:01:33 EDT 2006

Seems like a strong possibility the mechanic did not tighten the belt
properly.

Since you have the car home now, I suggest you take that belt off.  Loosen
the bolts on the idler pulley to do so.  Check by hand (belt off) that all
pulleys are turning without any bind or noises.  Install a new belt.
Inspect the old one and if no damage visible, can hold onto it for a spare.

When installing fresh belt, can put tension on the idler pulley using a long
screwdriver against the top side of the pulley with the blade of the
screwdriver placed pointing down and braced against the fan shrouding -
bottom edge of the "turkey roaster".  Too tight is as bad or worse than too
loose.  Someone already mentioned that you should be just able to turn the
pulley and the gen/alt by hand, and that will be proper tension.

There are a couple of fan guards (unless it is a '60) and if they are
properly in place, you should not have a further problem.  I see absolutely
no need for a spring style belt tensioner.  Even if you autocross on a
routine basis, if you do happen to throw a belt (pretty rare), it will give
you some extra HP for your run.  The runs are generally short enough that
you are off the course before the engine will seriously overheat.

After 100 miles or so - the fresh belt has now (likely) stretched just a
bit.  So go back and double check - readjust if needed - the tension.
That's it, you should be good.

How could you not notice the temp/pres light at night?  Did it not come on?
Is it working?  Should come on (as a check that bulb is OK) when the ign
switch is first turned to "ON", but before it is in the "START" position.
Should, of course, go off a second or so after start-up.

Later, JR