<VV>Transistor Radios

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri May 12 15:47:32 EDT 2006

At 08:05 hours 05/12/2006, Padgett wrote:
>Delco radios actually went through several transitions in the 50s and 60s
>1) high B+ voltage tube type radios with vibrators (pre-1957)
>2) low voltage (12v B+) radios - 1957-1959ish (not at home so cannot
>look up)

Actually, Delco built radios with space charge tubes through
1962.   All space charge tube radios (that I've seen used in GM
vehicles) used a Germanium output transistor, including those which
started in the later 1950s.   As I recall, the '58 Chevy wagon we had
also had a space charge radio with a Germanium transistor output on a
heat sink in the back.    The '56 Buick before it had a vibrator
radio.    You could hear it hum when you turned it on as it was warming up.

>3) low voltage tubes with a single transistor output (1959-1962)

...you sure it wasn't '58?   ;)

>4) all transistor radios (1963 model year)

Yep.

>Keep in mind that until the late fifties, transistors were
>considerably more expensive than tubes and used only in high-end sets.

The single Germanium transistor used as a Class-A output was a LOT
cheaper than the alternative, which would have to have been a pair of
large space charge tubes capable of driving a speaker through a
transformer, not an easy task on 12 volts if the goal is a couple
watts or more of audio output.     As inefficient as a Class-A power
amplifier is, it remained a better alternative particularly when it
was backed up by space charge tubes which eliminated the vibrator and
power transformer and rectifier tube and large filter caps and
associated circuitry.

The transistor in question (DS-501) was not actually manufactured by
Delco and had a number of different nomenclatures across the  board,
was practically indestructible and is still seen working up a storm
in hybrid car radios to this day, some of which are approaching 50
years old.     The radio in my '60 4-door remains pretty much
untouched (except for replacement of the emitter fusistor about 8
years ago after I foolishly ran the car with the battery unhooked and
the radio on) and it still works well after all this time.

Who'd uh thunk...

tony..