<VV> Tube Radios

DTerry8123 at aol.com DTerry8123 at aol.com
Sat May 13 00:33:42 EDT 2006

Here are my two cents worth. We had a 1960 500 4door purchased new  with a
manual factory radio. The mount was the color of the dash. The  radio knobs were
bright metal, as was the lighter and wiper/washer knobs.  (They seemed to be
same as the headlight knob except with a thin aluminum  covering) The
headlight switch knob was black plastic. (I have seen this  same configuration in
pictures in various car magazines of that era) The  radio was a hybrid (tubes with
a transistor for the power output.)
Our 1963 4 door Monza also purchased new had a factory push button factory
radio. It was definitely all transistor. The 1963 sales booklet states, "Full
transistor radios bring new reliability and immediate warm-up to enhance
listening pleasure" There is no doubt in my mind that it was all transistor. I
still have the schematics. The radio suffered from oscillator drift in cold
weather. Delco came out with some new transistors for the fix, which I installed
them myself.

Dan Terry
65 Corsa coupe
Corvair Atlanta