<VV> Key Blanks

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat May 13 00:36:44 EDT 2006

jrg478 at aol.com wrote:

>What I am saying is that  I do not have any original keys right now to my car. It is a 1967.
>
>By right, I should have the octagon/pear combo. That's what I bought from Clark's.
>
>The only set I have is a set of copies. The copies look like a copy from a set of 69's with the larger square and oval heads. I have no reason to suspect the locks were ever changed.

Look carefully at the keys you have for a letter. A, B, C, D, etc.  If
the ignition key is an A and the trunk key is a B then you have keys
that fit the '67 locks. If they are other letters, the locks could be
from a '68 ( C, D) or '69 (E, H) Corvair. As long as the blank and the
current key  have the same letter on them, it will work reguardless of
the head design. There are many odd head designs since the 80's, but the
groves and length are the same (if letter is the same). BTW,  J and K
are used in 1970, so your keys should not be those letters unless
someone really knew what cylinders fit what type cars! I know of no J
cylinder that fits a dash igniton switch, only column switches.

>The locksmith said that he couldn't cut the 67 blanks from the copies that I had. He gave no reason and I was not happy so I walked out without asking why.

He doesn't want your business! Why, I have no idea. Find another
locksmith. This isn't rocket science for locksmiths. Find an older
established place. Expect to pay at least the normal key charge even if
you are supplying the blank, as most of the cost of key duplicating is
labor. Blanks are cheap in the quantity they buy them. And code cutting
sometimes costs more than duplicating (extra labor needed), but you want
a fresh code cut, not a duplicate of a worn key.

Frank DuVal