<VV> stock 1961 owners

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri May 12 18:18:52 EDT 2006

At 05:11 hours 05/12/2006, vairdan at localnet.com wrote:

>  Still looking for someone to prove me wrong on the whole pushbutton
>radio thing.  I've seen 4 total 1961 pushbutton radios that have the
>manual tune face plates, where as the radio does not protrude through
>the bezel, but instead buts flush against the chrome faceplate of the
>radio. Some other interesting observations of the 1961's were that
>some of the housings (pods) were silver, indicating that they were
>probably dealer add-ons.

Many were, particularly in the 500 models, some of which came with
hardly any accessories at all, not even a passenger side sun visor or
a door operated dome light.   The radio was often an afterthought for
a 500.    Dealers would oft times install a radio on the cars that
showed up without a radio, of course having who knows what color
pod.   Some of the later 'Vairs showing up on the trucks without
radios also got fitted with Bendix or Motorola radios by the
dealer.    Many of these aftermarket radios were purchased in bulk by
dealers to have on hand for upgrading a car with no factory installed
radio.   Many of these radios such as the Motorola variants came with
"Corvair" script on them, sometimes only a bowtie etc...
depending.    I have an old Motorola AM for a late model with
"Corvair" script on the face, got it free because the previous owner
felt it was worthless and had been in process of throwing it in the
garbage.   I've seen other evidently-dealer-installed radios in early
models, a Bendix here and a Motorola there, etc.    Not terribly
unusual to see a pod with a different color.    The dealers were
doing lots of things to cars they rolled off the trucks.

GM used a piece of black plastic for a filler for the smaller manual
>tune radio. There's a Bendix after-market radio out there that uses
>the same bezel also.

LIkewise Motorola since they were making radios specifically to fit
GM cars and selling them to dealerships as well as to 2nd party
vendors like JC Whitney (or what was to become JCW) etc.

>Maybe they manufactured their own or bought from
>the General, who knows. Also the 1961 and possibly 62 pods had smaller
>holes for the knob mountings. But not as small as the 1960. 1961 Monza
>900 had the typical Monza style knobs and 500/700 had the 1960 style
>knobs. Although I believe they were silver rather than the 1960 700
>black plastic, not sure. I guess I will be hooking up with Stock
>Corvair Group soon.

The "silver" knobs on early earlies had a stainless steel
shell.   The black ones were simple plastic.  Later "bright" early
model radio knobs were chromed cast pot metal.   The black plastic
knobs were supplied with early-early 500 models, since they were the
costcutter level pieces while the 700 and later on 900 '60s and up
got the stainless shelled knobs with the factory installed radios.

...got several '60s and '61s here, four 700s and a 900, and all had
radios with the stainless shelled knobs.   Parted out a 500, radio
had black knobs.   All the other 500 early-earlies I've seen had
black knobs unless the radios had been twiddled, such as an obvious
later radio in a '60 with cobbled pod etc.   Of course, along the way
you could expect anything to have happened after the fact, including
a Buick radio in an early Vair (had the letters B U I C K on the
pushbuttons).

It's pretty hard to pin down lots of things from the 1960s since the
dealers had so much leeway in what they did with their cars before
selling them, as did the purchaser himself who could in those days
special-order a car and option it (or "de-option" it) out with all
sorts of different things, which is how you could end up seeing a
blue 'Vair with a red interior that appeared to be genuine
factory.    BTDT.     Likewise buying a 'Vair without a radio and
then buying a radio via mail order and saving a buck or three, which
is how I imagine lots of those Motorola radios came to land in
Corvairs, either via the dealer doing it or the purchaser doing it
after the fact.    This went on for many years up through the 1990s
where I was still seeing aftermarket odd brand radios in cars, radios
that looked almost exactly like the factory genuine article but were
made in all manner of strange places, saw one out of a Plymouth
station wagon that was made in Hong Kong yet looked just like the
original Mopar radio on the front face but inside it was a whole
different story; the majority of the aftermarket radios were NOT up
to the quality of the factory originals...

...except in the case of the Bendix and Motorola aftermarket
replacements which seemed to be rather well made and usually more
compact than the Delco originals.   I have one Motorola aftermarket
radio with push-pull outputs, likely has more volume than the Delco
as well as offering less of a load on the battery when run with the
engine off etc.   It took GM until the late '70s and early '80s to
finally get away from that single germanium output transistor and
start using modular outputs via integrated circuitry.

And *then* they used an oddball IC that you couldn't get from anyone
*except* Delco.    And, it was expensive.   This helped start the
aftermarket replacement trend seeing as how if someone wanted either
better sound or possibly repair of their existing radio, they found
out quickly that they could replace the Delco with something
aftermarket as cheaply as they could fix the original.    People also
began ordering cars radio-delete so as to start fresh.

...and, GM noticed, even mentioned it "off-handedly" in several
bulletins that came down to Delco service centers, as regards their
offering "competitive audio products" in future model cars, including
the Delco-Bose sound system...  which was a 1500 buck option over the
standard AM radio.   I thought they'd kinda shot themselves in the
foot... since these Bose system radios were equally expensive to
service if they broke and they did tend to break often, particularly
the front amp-speaker enclosures in the front doors which tended to
leak water into them after a while.   I must have replaced dozens of
amp modules in front door amp-speaker enclosures which had water
sloshing around inside them for so long it even corroded the mounting
hardware inside the enclosure, amp module would fall to the bottom
and soak in the water where it eventually had its epoxy coating leak
and then produce some amazing noises... providing the speaker itself
(*Another* expensive item) survived the moldy humidity.

Factory radios weren't all they could have been, up through the late
1980s in most cases.    After the 1990s, that began to change.

Now, we have aftermarket services which will gut your original
vintage factory AM radio and reload it with modern AM-FM stereo
innards without altering how the original radio appears in the dash,
done it a few times myself.     In many cases it will even pass a
concourse inspection if the speakers are sufficiently hidden.

I collected up some of those "throw-away" late vintage Delco AM-FM
radios (actually not bad pieces) that people at the shop just gave me
since they were "junk" simply because they were factory...  and I
gutted them for the electronics, used them to uprate old
radios.    It's time consuming and you have to cobble and kerfiddle
etc but it usually comes out considerably cheaper than what those
aftermarket outfits charge.

The hardest part was coming up with "stock" appearing knobs that fit
the shafts of the new "innards" (you must replace the original
controls in the vintage factory radio) which require their own
controls and the new shafts are smaller than the vintage factory
originals...  I collected up a box full of Delco Ford and Mopar radio
knobs to modify and adapt so as to keep the modified original radios
looking kinda stock...  wasn't always successful but at least they worked.

It was a LOT easier if the guy didn't mind having the modern radio
knobs on his modified early vintage radio.   ;)

Anymore, I suggest to people that they restore and clean up their
original radio, make it work well etc and install a 2nd "serious"
radio elsewhere in the car, something with a remote control or small
enough to hide away in the glove box etc... or, a "one hander" type
of radio with a control pod on a flexible stalk that you can tuck
under the seat or the dash etc.   Popular with street rods,
motorcycles etc...  got one made by Blaupunkt that I installed on the
Goldwing bike, worked out nicely, would work equally as well in a
vintage car that gets driven often and the owner wants modern quality
sound without having to cut the dash or modify the original radio.

Actually, for uprating the audio in a 'Vair, the radio isn't the hard
part.    Speaker placement is the real problem especially in convertibles.

OK, I'll shut up now, blabbered on too long.

tony..