<VV> Ultravan #311 SAVED, but still needs to be moved

Larry Forman Larry at Forman.net
Sun May 14 01:48:39 EDT 2006

Hi All,
Yes, it is true, I purchased it myself today.  It is still at Half Moon
Bay, needing to be towed to Sacramento, so I will be looking for someone
who wants fresh gas in their huge tow vehicle, or I ll rent a large truck
in the next month or so to haul it to an RV storage yard in the Sacramento
area.  Recommendations for storing it at an RV storage place gladly received.

I drove over there in my Greenbrier and they had found a homemade Ultravan
front tow bar!   That makes life a whole lot better.  It was fabricated
from steel box tubing and a steel box tube was welded to the front of the
Ultra, at least it appears that way.  I DO know that the Ultra is made of
aluminum skin.

I pumped up all four tires and lubed the front wheel bearings.  I then was
able to easily pull it forward with my Greenbrier, so nothing was locked up
with the rear wheels, since I had already checked the front wheels.  I
looked briefly at the rear axle half shafts and did not know for SURE where
to jack up each wheel (inboard of the brake backing plate on the V-shaped
bottom round plates?)  I will want to disconnect the half shafts, just to
be sure when towing it, since I assume that would be recommended for the
150 mile highway trip.  It appeared like the driver's side has a short
spline shaft that can be removed and then I would need to tie up the
drooping half shaft possibly to that separate side exhaust pipe?  Not sure
it I need to remove the entire passenger side half shaft or just disconnect
it.  Recommendations or a procedure welcomed.

The coach has a relatively straight body and I did not find any water
damage inside.  The interior has been converted somewhat to an office, with
the kitchen appliances replaced with storage shelves.  The head is intact,
but the door has been replaced with a curtain, yuck.  There is no dash
instrumentation, only a steering wheel.  The coach has been stored for many
years but within the last two, the owner walked away and left it.  It was
acquired by a lein sale to the RV storage place owner, who posted it for
sale to try to recoup some storage fees.

The engine appears to not be a 140, and is a two carb engine.  The air
cleaners are missing.  I was not able to read the engine code this
trip.  The engine turned over easily with a wrench on the harmonic
balancer.  No batteries included.  The windshields have been cut and the
driver's side is badly cracked, needing a cut replacement window.

I will NOT scrap it, but would like to have someone build a lightweight
interior with many of the latest improvements I have seen at the Custer
Rally last summer.  It will need a new sink, range/stove, and
refrigerator.  It will need to have new driver's and passenger seats,
table, and couch/front bed made.  The main bed foam and cover will need to
be made for it.

Lots of work that will wait for me to get some work done on the Devin C first.

Thanks for the support and help so far.

Larry