<VV> This day in History 37 years ago....

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sun May 14 23:01:40 EDT 2006

At 04:25 hours 05/14/2006, Dennis & Debbie PLEAU wrote:
>It's that easy, at work we make them with a few hundred angstroms of
>metal a few hundred angstroms of essentially glass and then another
>few hundred angstroms of metal.
>
>dp
>

>   re : You *can* repair a flip-flop with a capacitor!
>
>   You can make a capacitor out of two license plates and a piece of
> cardboard,
>   too, and it will at least get you home !

The only capacitor I ever made was hooked to a Tesla coil.   It
consisted of several sheets of glass separating sheets of
alternatingly connected aluminum foil in a glass baking dish filled
with motor oil, connected across the primary coil winding, which was
of course attached to your standard garden variety neon transformer
with a spark gap to provide some high freq "oscillations" to drive
the primary coil.

Large sparks resulted, spraying from the top electrode of the
secondary coil.   *Large* sparks.  Scary stuff.   I was afraid to get
close to the thing... fried and fizzled and crackled like a Sci-Fi
film prop.    Almost nothing would stop the blue spraying sparks... I
perched an upside-down dinner glass over the top of the secondary
coil winding's electrode (a nail) and it even sprayed sparks through
the glass.

The whole thing was made from junk stuff, mostly telephone line wire
wrapped around cardboard forms and glass I got from the hardware
store, and the transformer that someone gave me.    This is what I
get for watching those Mr Wizard shows on Saturday mornings... and
then finding plans in an electronics hobbyist book.

Not likely to happen these days; liability issues and such...  ;)

I played with some strange stuff as a child.   Then eventually I
bought a Corvair...

tony..