<VV> engine trouble...

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Thu May 18 15:15:59 EDT 2006

Hey guys,

     I've got a condition with my vair that I could use some help with.  This is on the 66 500 coupe with the PG.

     A few months ago (after sitting for a good few months without being driven) the car began misbehaving.  The engine would lose power, then surge, lose power, surge etc.  While doing this the engine would backfire through the exhaust.  The problem would come and go randomly, but got steadily worse.  While the car was acting up I found that the spark was errattic.  I replaced the wires, no change.  I then performed a tuneup at the distributor, no change.

     At this point I took a gamble and replaced the coil with a brand new unit.  This seemed to fix the car, it ran fine afterward but I did notice just the slightest sign of the engine wavering on occasion.

     Fast Forward another month or two later, the original problem is back full force, and getting steadily worse again.  Timing and Dwell are right on, vacuum advance is working.

I started the car, let it warm up.  Drove for about 5 minutes and it started to act up a little.  Misfired for about a minute then started running fine.  Another 5 minutes down the road the engine starts stuttering and backfiring, wont climb the next hill so I pull over.  Let the car sit for a minute and start it up, ran fine for the next hour and a half.

     I was not able to catch it misbehaving to check the spark.  Runs fine anytime I try.

Also of note two additional things:

When sitting at a stop sign/light the idle occasionally just quits, no stumbling.... just quits suddenly.  I found the vacuum advance line was loose- this MIGHT be fixed.

If you dont let the engine idle down for a few seconds when you stop before shutting off the engine it "diesels" (detonation, preignition) after shutting off the key pretty badly.  Lean mixture?  Temp light is not coming on.

I just ordered new carb filters and gaskets.  What ideas do you folks have?

Also note that this car sat for at least 5 years, maybe much more, before my purchasing it.  I'm at maybe 2,000 miles driven since I purchased the car.  Ran great at first, then problems started developing.  This is the same car that has the lifter tap, which I still haven't tracked down.

Thanks

Ray Rodriguez
CORSA
65 Corsa 140/4