<VV> Convertible top frame lateral adjustment

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun May 21 22:08:00 EDT 2006

My daughter Leigh and I are trying to put a new top on her '64 Spyder convertible. We have the old top off and as I was examining the top frame I noticed that the rear side rails (the one that runs behind the rear quarter window) appear to be shifted laterally.  The left one is more inboard than the right one.  The right one actually contacts the inside of the chrome boot snap trim, while the left one clears it by about 0.4 inch. The outboard side of the side rail is about 1/4" closer to the quarter window glass surface on the left side than it is on the right side of the car. If I could wave a magic wand I would move the whole roof frame toward the left by about 1/4".  But I don't see any adjustment in the lateral direction. All the adjustments seem to be fore-and-aft or up-and-down.

  Has anyone else encountered this condition, and is there a way to adjust it?

  Thanks!

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on