<VV> Re: rebuild 140 engine noise (answer)

Mike Kost vairmike at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 22 08:47:47 EDT 2006

Michael Kovacs wrote:

><SNIP>
>
>   My next question is:
>   Why the clicking noise when  I turn over the engine on the starter. I think I'll secure the left cylinders, remove the fuel pump and deactivate the ignition and see if I can duplicate the sound with the left head off.

I had a ticking noise one time that I couldn't find. I at first thought
it was a valve seat but after pulling both heads to check (and pulling a
couple of studs) I put the heads back on and still had a ticking
(clunking) sound while cranking. I finally pulled the engine (should
have done it to start with) and found the flywheel bolts were loose. You
might check to see if the balance is tight so that the fuel pump
eccentric is not wobbling.

Mike Kost