<VV> Smittys Carb

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon May 22 17:16:28 EDT 2006

Smitty Says:  OK everybody, calm down.  I appreciate the thought that you are saving me from myself but take a chill pill.  I refer youi to the cam and crank picture  page 6A-48 in the 61 manual.  You Late owners have to guess what I am talking about since you don't have a 61 manual.
  The picture shows the crank gear with the keyway to the left and the cam gear with the keyway down.  This is also with the tiny zero at the absolute top and the crank hub index mark at the bottom in rotation.  This is TDC for Cyl # 1     According to what I have read (I have never actually watched it happen in a running engine) the crank rotates twice for each cam revolution.  The # 2 cyl fires exactly opposite the # 1 cyl in the firing cycle.  That means if you rotate the damper (crankshaft) one revolution from TDC # 1, you will be at TDC for # 2 which puts the zero 180 degrees from #1 position which puts it guess where?  Right smack at the bottom.  Right in line with the block part line (If you didn't screw up).  I might be old and incompetent, but I think I'm right on this.
  Engine is out of the car and half stripped down.  I am going to try to split the block with the heads on just because I want to do it that way.