<VV> Smittys Carb

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue May 23 03:43:46 EDT 2006

At 07:53 hours 05/22/2006, Frank DuVal wrote:
>There is a mechanic, Jessie Bently, that worked on Corvairs for
>years at a dealership around Richmond that swears he could change a
>camshaft without removing the heads.
>
>Frank DuVal
>
>Smitty Smith wrote:
>
>>  Engine is out of the car and half stripped down.  I am going to
>> try to split the block with the heads on just because I want to do
>> it that way.

...last time I put one together and goofed, I did this.   It
worked.   Swapped out the crank and all was well.

Ya wanna hear how I goofed while putting it together the first time?

I got the cranks mixed up.   I put an early crank in a late
engine.   I picked up the *wrong crank* from the bench.   There were
several there.   I did NOT notice that it was an early crank, and
they're EASY TO TELL APART  at a glance.

How dum is that?    Can anybody state a claim to fame as having done
something more stupid than that, and still have the engine actually
run?   I didn't even notice that the pistons didn't come to TDC when
I was fitting rings.   Dubble dum.     And I don't drink.    I have
no excuse other than plane dum.

My only plausible reason for being this stewped was that the 'at the
time soon to be future ex-wife' had been jerking me around and was
suffering from disgruntled postal worker syndrome.

tony..