<VV> Spacer

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue May 23 14:47:45 EDT 2006

>  The 1" spacers probably wouldn't
>have cost near that much but if GM could have advertised that their engine
>put out more hp or torque, I think they would have jumped at it for a measly
>$1 or less.

Advertised Gross hp and torque (stock test 20) was done with the air
cleaner assemby removed. 64 HO-6 (110) shows 112 hp at 4400 rpm. Std test 7
"Engine Performance" with cleaner installed shows 92 hp peak at 4000. Not
saying that is the only thing that causes the drop, just that it is a factor.

Back in the day, the way some adverticed HP ratings occured was to wind the
engine up and drop in the load - however far the Toledo needle swung, that
was the rating. Other time engines were derated (Z-28, L-88, RA-IV) to keep
the sans coulottes from buying them.

Besides if it meant you could not put a tire with chains in the spare slot
and close the lid, forgetaboutit.

Padgett