<VV> Alignment

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Wed May 24 10:09:58 EDT 2006

A previous owner at one time had the engine and rearend out from under my 64
coupethe and failed to put the shims back in when they re-installed.
Anybody have a ball park guess as how many or what thicknesses go on each
side?  I would like to get her back where she belongs.

Thanks,
Jim Dallas

The shims determine toe-in of rear wheels.  No shims will probably be
toe-out.  Just run a tape measure across the grooves in your tires at the
same height front and back.  You want the front measurement to be about 1/8"
to 1/4" less than the rear measurement.  Add shims to get toe-in.  Car must
be on the ground and rolled back and forth to get the suspension settled
down before measuring.  I made a checking gage out of a few pieces of wood.
One end has a fixed right angle and the other end has a moveable piece on a
pivot with a wing nut to tighten.  I just sit the fixed end against the side
of the tire and adjust the other end to touch the side of that tire.  Then
you slide it out and check the other measurement and see if there is a gap
or interference.  Shim (or adjust trailing arms on a late model) to suit.
Clark Hartzel