FW: <VV> What's squeaking?

Ricki Jannise Ricki.Jannise at Halliburton.com
Thu May 25 08:44:48 EDT 2006

Sounds a lot like a universal joint to me...at the right angle when
driving and warmed up...

Ricki Jannise

'65 'vert 110 4spd

From: mhicks130 at cox.net [mailto:mhicks130 at cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:45 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> What's squeaking?

My '65 has developed a "squeak" in the right rear.  At first I thought
it was rotational and suspected the brake or bearing or even the heater
hose rubbing on the drive shaft.  Well I did thourough fault isolating
today.  I jacked the car up and put it in gear and got no squeaking.  I
then pulled the wheel and drum - no squeaking.  I then took the drive
shaft off - no squeaking. I had my wife sit in the car while I looked
under it and there's plenty of clearance for the heater hose.  I put it
all back together and took a test drive - no squeaking, until I had
almost returned home (approximately 5 mile round trip) and I heard
squeaking.  My wife was in the front yard and she heard it and said it
sounds like a "squeaky mattress spring" sound.  I had assumed it was
rotational but I now think it is up and down related.  So who's the
likely culprit?  I know it's hard to diagnose such things over the
internets but I thought I'd try anyway.

mike

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.